Assignment: Fair Treatment in Workplace Essay
You have been hired as a Management Consultant by a large company to examine the business decisions of the company in regards to employee protections. The laws applicable are federal anti-discrimination laws, federal health and safety laws and employer firing practices related to the employment-at-will doctrine.
In relation to the three questions below, write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1. Analyze, identify and explain recent legislation, within the last 10 years, that helps to protect employees from discrimination in the workplace. Provide at least two federal legislative protections. Provide some insight when the federal legislation conflicts with the state.
2. Explain the Employment at Will Doctrine and ALL the exceptions to the Doctrine. Look at the scenarios below and determine whether the decision to fire the employee is a smart one. Identify why or why not and determine all the possible exceptions per the EAW Doctrine that is applicable, might be or could be applicable if the employee sues for wrongful termination.
· Brenda, a manager, started a blog on the company website for employee grievances. She noticed a worker was protesting that no Asian American employees had gotten a raise in two (2) years at the company. The worker also criticized how much the CEO made and how the CEO was “out-of-touch.” Brenda reprimanded the worker. The next day, the worker talked to her fellow co-workers about forming a union. Brenda subsequently fired the worker.
· Jason, a department supervisor, requests approval to fire his secretary. Alice, his secretary, a devout Christian woman, was putting out Right-to-Life flyers in the employee break room. Alice was also taking time out to pray each day during the busiest time of the morning.
· Brian, head of Accounting, refused to sign Lori’s leave request for jury duty. Lori is a tax attorney in his department. Brian wants to fire Lori for being absent without permission during their most busy time – tax season.
· Peter has worked for the company for 1 year. He has a rare form of liver disease and works with chemicals that make his condition worse. Peter does not want to stop working but his boss is not happy with his performance and wants to let him go.
3. Determine the federal law in regards to undocumented workers and whether they are eligible for state workers’ compensation in the United States. Advocate for or against this practice and substantiate your response with research to support your position.
4. Use the textbook and at least two (2) other quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources. Textbook for this class is a required source for this assignment.
· This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Analyze and apply the concepts of ethical decision making, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility. Analyze and evaluate the employment-at-will doctrine and the statutory protections afforded employees. · Analyze and evaluate federal law in regards to discrimination and health and safety in the workplace · Use technology and information resources to research issues in law, ethics, and corporate governance. · Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics. Assignment: Fair Treatment in Workplace Essay
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!