Assignment: Understanding Consumer Behavior
1. Wal-Mart tracks the habits of the 100 million customers who visit its stores each week and responds with products and services directed toward those customers’ needs based on the information collected. This is an example of ________ marketing.
2. A consumer with a(n) ________ attachment to a product uses the product as part of his or her daily routine.
3. A digital native is someone who ________.
a. is a heavy user of alternate reality games (ARGs)
b. grew up in a “wired” and highly networked world
c. belongs to a consumption community
d. participates in database marketing
4. The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus is an example of a(n) ________. a. industry watchdog
b. social marketer
c. culture jammer
d. federal agency
Understanding Consumer Behavior Assignment
5. Researchers who argue that the field of consumer behavior should not be a “handmaiden to business” believe that consumer behavior research should ________.
a. be judged in terms of its ability to improve marketing practices
b. focus on understanding consumption for its own sake
c. have a market-oriented focus
d. aim to apply knowledge to increasing profits
6. Which of the following social science fields would most likely be associated with macro consumer behavior?
a. cultural anthropology
b. clinical psychology
c. experimental psychology
d. human ecology
7. A student of postmodernism is most likely to believe that the world in which we live is a(n) ________, or a mixture of images.
d. alternate reality
8. Jenny Rowlins is absolutely exhausted after her shopping trip to pick out a dress for her sorority’s formal event. The stores were crowded, and none of her favorite shops carried a dress that she liked in her size. After spending hours at the mall, Jenny gave up and decided to order her dress online and just return it if it wasn’t exactly right. This decision took place in the ________ stage of Jenny’s consumption process.
9. Evan does business in South America. He has mastered Spanish and many cultural norms, but he still has problems with cultural differences in ethics. Many of the regulatory officials Evan must deal with expect bribes. Evan solves this problem by bringing with him a number of moderately priced watches. When an official admires his watch, Evan offers it to him or her as a gift. Later he puts a new watch on his wrist. Evan’s situation demonstrates that ________.
a. a small lapse of ethics is acceptable
b. universal values are the basis of business ethics
c. laws regulating business have become uniform because of the demands of a global economy
d. different cultures define ethical business behaviors differently
10. An advertisement for a national shampoo shows a plain woman using the product, then transforming to a gorgeous woman with a new hairstyle, dressed in elegant clothes, waiting for the “man of her dreams” to appear on her doorstep. This advertisement best illustrates which of the following criticisms of the marketing system?
a. Marketers create needs.
b. Marketing makes society overly materialistic.
c. Marketers control popular culture.
d. Marketers promise miracles.
11. George says that he sees everything as “black or white no in between.” George would most accurately be characterized as a(n) ________.
12. Which of the following refers to the process by which the way a word sounds influences the listener’s assumptions about what the word describes?
b. audio watermarking
c. the principle of similarity
d. sound symbolism
13. The minimum difference that can be detected between two stimuli is known as the ________.
a. “bare” minimum
b. j.n.d. (just noticeable difference)
c. gradual differentiation
d. graded difference
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!