Assignment: Research Project Instructions
Research Project Instructions
The Purpose: There are a couple purposes for this project. The first purpose is to assist you in gaining information and resources on the major issues women may bring to you in counseling. Every student in this class will select a different topic to research. At the end of this course, this will become a class project in which each student will share his/her research with the rest of the class. This will allow you to compile a resource notebook or a resource file on counseling women. The second purpose is to prepare a presentation for a future workshop you may teach on your selected topic.
Basic Description: You are to select a topic that is of specific interest to you and then research your topic as if you were preparing a workshop on it to teach to a group of fellow counselors. The topic list provided purposely does not include topics that are discussed in this class. The reason is to help you gain “additional” information beyond what we cover in the class lectures and activities. You are allowed to seek approval of other topics you would like to present that are not on this list. Before beginning your research, be sure the topic is not covered already in this course and that you have received your instructor’s approval.
Instructions for the Research Project:
· Select a topic and submit it to your instructor for approval in the Research Project Topic Discussion Board forum by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 1.
· Part A of this project includes the primary research information you would prepare in order to put together a presentation on your topic. It will basically look like a research paper using subheadings to be used in presenting your topic. Part A is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 6.
· Part B of this project will be a quick outline document that you would provide as a handout at your workshop. This handout can also include additional charts or appendices with an explanation. Submit the Research Project: Part B via the assignment link and also upload this assignment to the Research Project File Exchange under the My Groups tab by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 7.
1. Select one topic from the topic list provided. Decide on a topic for your research project and post it in the Research Project Topic Discussion Board forum in order to receive approval from your instructor. Each student will research a different topic; therefore, once a topic has been selected, it will no longer be available. Topics will be approved on a “first come, first served” basis.
2. Research your topic by looking for information on treatment options or intervention approaches to assist women with that particular problem/disorder. Investigate your topic in depth; do not provide a broad survey of the topic.
3. Part A of the project should be 12-15 pages in content length. (The abstract, appendices and reference list are not included as content.)
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!