Application cultural competence strategies nursing assignment Assignment
Nursing assignment involving the use of cultural competence strategies. How can community health nurses use cultural competence strategies in their practice? Also, give at least one example from each of the four strategies listed below: cultural preservation, cultural accommodation, cultural repatterning, and cultural brokering. What is a potential impediment to implementing the chosen strategy/example?
Application cultural competence strategies nursing assignment requirements
Use an example that is distinct from the examples provided by other students. An evidence-based article addressing a cultural issue should be included in this example. In addition, the response should include an APA reference.
Kindly ORDER NOW to enjoy our guarantees.
Cultural competence can be implemented into community health nursing through education about the community the nurse is serving, attendance at events other than her own, and an open mind to accept that other cultures have both similarities and differences. Maurer defines cultural competence in our text as “a complex integration of knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, skills, and encounters with those from cultures different from one’s own that improves cross-cultural communication and the appropriateness and effectiveness of interactions with others” (Maurer, 2013). Cultural competence is more than just being educated on the differences of other cultures; it is also about having lived in them. Trying new foods, attending cultural events, shopping at local markets, and befriending someone from a culture other than your own can help you understand and expand your understanding of that culture, as well as give you another reason to reexamine your own. Cultural competence, I’ve discovered, is a lifelong practice that promotes understanding and unity within a community. Cultural preservation enables us to support traditional cultural practices and their incorporation into the daily lives of Americans. For those who identify as Hispanic and/or come from Latin America, one example would be the celebration of Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). The continuation of this practice helps to preserve traditions from the past while also providing an opportunity for others to view life and death in a way that differs from their own. Cultural accommodation is the process of adopting and adapting to the values and beliefs of their host culture in public while maintaining their native cultural practices at home. Speaking the host’s language in public or at work, but returning to their native language at home or with others of the same culture, is one example. Cultural re-patterning is the process of assisting a patient in changing their personal behaviors in order to make better life choices. One method would be to teach a parent the dangers of having an infant sleep in their bed with them. Cultural brokering is the act of using a commonality (often a third-party individual) to help people from different cultural backgrounds negotiate differences. The goal of cultural brokering is to reduce conflict while also providing opportunities for positive change in both parties. One such example would be the use of a school social worker from a specific background to serve as a liaison to parents who may be unfamiliar with school requirements for attendance, participation, and college preparation.
What is a potential impediment to implementing the chosen strategy/example? Use an example that is distinct from the examples provided by other students. An evidence-based article addressing a cultural issue should be included in this example. An APA reference should be included in the response.
A language barrier, in particular, would be an impediment. Though the use of certified interpreters is frequently beneficial, a country’s language may have different dialects that do not translate well with those who are not from that specific region or community. On a daily basis, this is easily demonstrated in the medical field. Medical staff frequently use medical terminology that is unfamiliar to the majority of the population, resulting in them speaking a language that is foreign to native English speakers. Add to that a language barrier for non-native English speakers or those who need a translator, and the difficulties multiply. Graham and Brookey’s 2008 research concluded that patients with limited literacy skills face communication barriers that often go unnoticed and contribute to poorer outcomes.
S. Graham and J. Brookey (2008). Do the patients comprehend? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC30371…
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, including a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two-sentence responses, simple statements of agreement, or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’s level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’s level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.