NR 361: Week 4 Information Systems Paper
Week 4: Information Systems Paper
Information Systems in Healthcare Paper Guidelines (graded,
The purpose of this assignment is to select a topic related
to information systems in healthcare from the list provided, research and
analyze the topic, and describe how you will apply your newfound knowledge to
your nursing practice.
This assignment enables the student to meet one or more of
the following Course Outcomes depending on the topic selected.
CO 1: Describe patient-care technologies as appropriate to
address the needs of a diverse patient population. (PO 1)
CO 2: Analyze data from all relevant sources, including
technology, to inform the delivery of care. (PO 2)
CO 3: Define standardized terminology that reflects
nursing’s unique contribution to patient outcomes. (PO 3)
CO 4: Investigate safeguards and decision-making support
tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support
a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers. (PO 4)
CO 5: Identify patient care technologies, information
systems, and communication devices that support safe nursing practice. (PO 5)
CO 6: Discuss the principles of data integrity, professional
ethics, and legal requirements related to data security, regulatory
requirements, confidentiality, and client’s right to privacy. (PO 6)
CO 7: Examine the use of information systems to document
interventions related to achieving nurse sensitive outcomes. (PO 7)
CO 8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force
to institute change in delivery of nursing care. (PO 8)
This assignment is worth a total of 200 points.
Click to download the NR361 Information Systems Paper Rubric
(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Your completed paper is due in Week 4. Be sure to submit
your assignment. Post your questions to the Q & A Forum. Contact your
instructor if you need additional assistance. See the Course Policies regarding
late assignments and academic integrity. Failure to submit your paper on time
will result in a deduction of points.
Select one of these topics for the focus of your paper.
Personal Health Records (CO5, CO6, CO8)
Usability, Integration, and Interoperability in Healthcare
Technology (CO2, CO3, CO6)
You are to research, analyze, and write an
APA-formattedscholarly paper on ONE topic from the two choices listed below.
Once selected, please click on the link next to the topic to download an APA
template to complete your paper.
Personal Health Records (APA template) (Links to an external
site.)Links to an external site. (CO5, CO6, CO8) OR
Usability, Integration, and Interoperability in Healthcare
Technology (APA template) (Links to an external site.)Links to an external
site. (CO2, CO3, CO6)
Use the template to write an introduction that defines and
describes the topic. Address what purpose the topic serves and how it impacts
the delivery of healthcare in general and nursing care in particular.
Search for scholarly sources and relevant websites. Include
a minimum of two scholarly sources. The course textbook does not qualify as a
scholarly source. Cite all sources in the body of the paper and include them in
the References list following proper APA formatting.
Provide one example of this topic. Describe the main
features or aspects of the example with support from your sources.
Describe an experience where the topic impacted you
personally, either when you were receiving healthcare or when you were
providing nursing care.Relate one positive aspect or one negative aspect of
this experience and how it could have been improved.
Write a conclusion that summarizes the topic, the purpose,
and how your newfound insight will influence your nursing care.
Use one of the APA templates above to develop your paper.
Use APA formatting. Refer to the Publication manual of the APA, sixth edition.
Review the various APA documents included in this course and the SSPRNBSN
Student Success course that can help you with your writing. Take advantage of
the tutoring services that are available to Chamberlain students for free.
The length of the paper should be a maximum of 4-5 pages,
excluding the title page and the reference page. There should only be one small
quote maximum in the paper. Citations should primarily include summary and
6 Interview With a Nurse Information Expert Latest 2018 January
The purpose of this assignment is to
your understanding of the importance of quality information in everyday
the roles and responsibilities of a nursing information expert; and
how the professional nurse uses information and data in everyday practice
to improve outcomes.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course
CO 1: Describe patient-care technologies as appropriate to address
the needs of a diverse patient population. (PO 1)
CO 4: Investigate safeguards and decision-making support tools
embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support a safe
practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers.
CO 8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force to
institute change in delivery of nursing care. (PO 8)
This assignment is worth a total of 225 points.
This assignment, Interview With a Nursing Information Expert, is
due in Week 6.Post questions to the Q & A Forum. Contact your instructor if
you need additional assistance.See the Policies regarding late assignments. Failure to submit
your paper on time will result in a deduction of points.Be sure to submit your
the NR361 Interview Form (Links to an external site.)Links to an external
site., which will be used to complete this assignment.
your interviewee and schedule an interview. This individual must be a
Registered Nurse. Job
titles of RNs who may be considered include, but are not limited to,
nursing clinical information manager, super user, director/manager
clinical education, chief information officer, quality assurance or
performance improvement nurse, nurse informaticist, telenursing
specialist, nurse abstractor, case manager, or compliance nurse.If
you have any concerns about whether the RN is suitable for this
assignment, contact your instructor before you schedule the interview.
all questions (areas of inquiry) on the Interview Form prior to conducting
the interview. You may print the form and take it with you to the
that there are five required questions to ask the RN.
that there are four optional questions. You need to select only one of
these to ask the RN.
that there are two follow-up questions you must answer.
Prior to conducting your interview, review two scholarly
resources. These resources should guide your understanding of the RN’s role and
responsibilities or make you more knowledgeable about GIGO, interprofessional
communication, or other key concepts in the questions that you may not fully
understand. For example, if your interviewee is a telenurse, you would want to
review information on this specialty. If you do not know what GIGO means, look
your interview. The length of your interview will vary but should not
exceed 1 hour.
the completed interview form prior to the deadline outlined above.
Criteria for Content
- Scholarliness: In this category, the student will conduct a search of the current databases and locate valid, relevant, and reliable information for the required topic. Each reference must be scholarly.
- Application of Course Knowledge: In this category, the student demonstrates the ability to analyze and apply principles, knowledge, and information learned in the course lesson and outside readings. This information is then applied to a real-life professional situation as an example.
- Interactive Dialogue: In this category, the minimum requirements are to provide an initial posting to the graded threaded discussion topic by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. In addition, one peer response and one instructor response are required. These postings must be completed by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. The initial posting, peer response, and instructor response must be on 3 separate days.
- Grammar, Syntax, APA: Proper grammar, APA, and syntax is required for all posts. Students should follow the APA Manual 6th Edition. Additional APA information is available in Course Resources.
- Participation Requirement: One initial posting, one peer response and one instructor response (for a total of 3 posts for the week) are required on 3 separate days.
- Participation Deadline: The student must provide a substantive response to the graded threaded discussion topic. This must be posted by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. Peer and instructor responses must be posted by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT.
- For week 8 only: the required postings are amended due to the shorter week. Two posts are required. One initial post and either a peer response or an instructor response. Initial post must be a minimum of 200 words and the peer or instructor response must be a minimum of 100 words. Both posts are required to be on two separate days. All posts must be made by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT.
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
- Instructor reserves the right to submit any threaded discussion posting to TurnItIn in order to verify the originality.
- When journals are used as the outside source of information, it is preferred that the journal be peer reviewed. The Chamberlain online librarian is very helpful in assisting you to find an article related to your topic. If you have questions concerning scholarly sources, please refer to the handout entitled “What is a scholarly source” located under “Course Resources” tab.
- Web sites vary in quality and scholarship. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the scholarly nature of the web site. If the instructor determines that the site failed to demonstrate scholarship, points maybe deducted. Students are cautioned to use care regarding .com sites. Some .com sites are excellent such as American Heart Association, but others are built by individuals and scholarliness is lacking. It is recommended that you check with your instructor before using a .com website as a reference.
- Only one small quote (15 words or less) within the entire initial posting is acceptable. It is expected that the student will paraphrase the information when presenting information from a scholarly source. The scholarly source(s) for the paraphrased information must be cited using APA format. Do not include a number of small quotes even if they are just a few words as your instructor considers a quote to be a quote no matter its limited size.