Assignment: Traditional Models of Group Therapy
Text: Theory and Practice of Group Counseling
8th Edition, 2012
Authoris). Gerald Corey
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning
Multiple Choice Questions (Enter your answers on the enclosed answer sheet)
1. Most traditional therapy models are grounded in a(n) framework wherein
mainstream cultural values overshadow the multicultural worldviews that may be present among group members.
2. Expressing concrete and honest reactions based on observation of members’ behaviors.
a. disclosing oneself
b. giving feedback
3. Authentic group leaders:
a. share every fleeting thought, perception, feeling, fantasy, and reaction they have
b. are willing to appropriately disclose oneself and share feelings and reactions to what is going on in the group
c. never hold back their true feelings toward members
d. a and conly
4. Informing group participants about the psychological risks associated with group work:
a. absolves leaders from responsibility
b. is an eth ical obi igation of group leaders
c. does not absolve leaders of their responsibility
d. band conly
5. In agency settings where clients are often court-ordered to a group:
a. the initial group meeting can be structured as an information and screening session if prior screening is impossible
b. the group leader can still attempt to meet with each client for a pregroup interview rather than a forma I screen i ng session
c. screening may be impractical
d. All of the above.
6. At the initial sessions members tend to:
a. keep a “public image”; that is, they present the dimensions of themselves they consider
b. delve into their deeper emotions
c. connect with each other by blaming their mothers for their problems
d. be silent in order to avoid being negatively evaluated by other members
7. When characteristics exist such as a high degree of cohesion, open communication, shared leadership functions, willingness to risk threatening material, and freely giving feedback and
considering it nondefensively, it can be said that the group is at the stage.
8. The psychoanalytic concept that refers to repetition of interpretations and overcoming of resistance, which allows the client to resolve dysfunctional patterns that originated in childhood and to make choices based on new insights, is known as:
a. repetition compulsion
b. life script awareness
c. working through
d. the therapeutic impasse
9. Insight and the process of working through are considered:
a. unessential in group work
b. necessary before members can be considered ready to leave the group
c. necessary for the therapist, but not for the members
d. to be things that are accomplished only after a person leaves the group
10. In Adlerian group work, analysis and assessment are:
a. ways of exploring an individual’s dynamics
b. the very first tasks a leader completes
c. considered as detrimental to group process
d. seen as neither necessary nor desirable
11. The third phase of a psychodrama consists of:
a. sharing what was observed during the action period and discussion
b. encouraging a protagonist to act out a conflict
c. the leader giving an interpretation of the dynamics of behavior
d. some type of nonverbal exercise
12. Psychodrama was designed to facilitate the expression of feelings in a spontaneous and dramatic way through the use of:
a. free association
b. role playing
c. dream analysis
d. shame-attacking exercises
13. The implication of self-awareness for existentially-oriented group practice is that:
a. repression is a strong factor in human behavior
b. humans tend to shy away from awareness of themselves
c. awareness of the causes of one’s problems provides the key to resolving these problems
d. through self-awareness members are confronted with the responsibility to direct their own lives
14. Which of the following is considered important on the part of the leader/therapist in the person-centered approach?
a. accurate interpretation on the leader’s part
b. accurate diagnosis and formulation of a treatment plan
c. the attitudes of the group leader
d. analysis of underlying dynamics of behavior
15. A limitation of the person-centered approach is:
a. a lack of research conducted on key concepts
b. a tendency for practitioners to give support without being directive enough with clients
c. the lack of attention to the therapeutic relationship
d. the failure to allow clients to choose for themselves
16. A primary function of the Gestalt leader is to:
a. make interpretations for the members
b. serve as a blank screen to foster transference
c. suggest experiments that will lead to increased awareness and to heightening of exp
Assignment: Traditional Models of Group Therapy
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!