Assignment: Research Capstone Outline
The purpose of this assignment is to create the outline/agenda to your proposed capstone project, in order to further expand on the expected knowledge, skills and abilities that students are expected to obtain at the conclusion of the course. Refer to the attachment below titled “Week 8 Introduction to HCAD 670 Evidence-Based Research Capstone Outline” for the complete assignment details. (see attachment to this order)
Deliverables: At the conclusion of Week Eight, submit two (2) – three (3) single APA-formatted assignment along with a cover and reference sheet. At minimum, your outline must include the following items listed below.
- A proposed topic/title
- Proposed research statement [one paragraph]
- Introduction to the problem [one paragraph]
- Purpose of the study one – two paragraphs]
- Simply list 2-3 proposed research questions
- Annotated Bibliography [reflecting a total of five peer-reviewed references]
Capstone Research Paper Outline
A capstone research paper serves as a concluding academic and intellectual experience for students, typically during their final year of high school or middle school, or at the end of an academic program.
It helps students learn how to find and analyze information and how to work with it efficiently. Writing a capstone research paper involves a wide range of activities like critical thinking, deep analysis, and the ability to use different media.
The following is a capstone research paper outline:
1. Title page.
The title page should be a single page that includes:
- The title of your research paper.
- The title of the course and the name of your school.
- The date the paper is submitted.
- Your full name.
2. Table of Contents.
This should be one or two pages that list each section of your paper and the page on which it begins.
The abstract is a brief summary of the research paper. It should describe the purpose, importance, results, and conclusions of the research. The abstract should be written in a scholarly manner and must not exceed one page in length, including keywords.
The introduction should briefly introduce the research problem and focus of the study, establish its significance, and share your perspectives on the broader context in which the problem occurs. The introduction should:
- Provide a framework for the problem within your field of study.
- Explain your personal interest in the problem.
- Include any necessary definitions.
- End by clearly stating the intended goals of your research paper.
5. Historical background.
This section should clearly explain the context of the research problem. It should include:
- Historical background.
- Social/cultural background.
- Other relevant background information.
6. Research questions.
This section should include one or two sentences that state the purpose of the research in the form of a question.
7. Literature Review
The literature review should provide a summary and analysis of what is known about the research problem. It explains to the reader what areas were studied for the capstone research paper by referencing what other researchers have already published about the topic and problem.
8. Research Design and Methodology
The research design and methodology section should include a description of the participants and setting for the data collection, instruments, and the overall research design. It includes:
- The specific steps of how the data was collected for the research project in such a clear fashion that another researcher should be able to replicate the process from the information given.
- Reliability and validity of the research study.
- References to appendices. If interviews were conducted as part of the research, the list of questions should be included as an Appendix.
9. Results and Conclusions
This section combines the data collected from the research project and compares it to the problems identified to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of the research paper. it includes:
- Some descriptive information about the participants, and data presented very factually in a form that is organized appropriately to address each of the research questions.
- Tables and figures to summarize the data, if appropriate. All tables and figures should be numbered chronologically and titled descriptively.
- The data collected for the study.
- Limitations of the current study and recommendations for future research.
10. References (Assignment: Research Capstone Outline)
Include references all of the research materials that you have used while conducting your research. This section should use APA style and include detailed annotations.
This section should include all additional materials used or developed during the project. It includes:
- Data tables
- Interview questions
- Important information for writing discussion questions and participationHi Class,
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!