Assignment: Psyc 2301: Social Norms
1. Using the violation of social norms approach, which of the following persons is engaged
in abnormal behavior?
A) A Thai woman “runs amok.”
B) An Ethiopian says he’s possessed by “Zar.”
C) A Vietnamese man believes his penis is retracting into his abdomen.
D) All of these options
2. The purpose of the DSM-IV-TR is to provide ____.
A) descriptions of disorders
B) explanations of the causes of disorders
C) treatment recommendations for disorders
D) all of these options
3. “Insanity” is a _____ term that is used in _____% of cases that reach trial.
A) psychological; 1%
B) legal; 1%
C) psychological; 3%
D) legal; 3%
4. Brenda has been up for days. She forgot to pay the rent, but is handing out money to the
homeless. When a police officer tries to talk to her about why she is wearing only her
bra and underwear in a public place, she rapidly answers, but her thoughts and her
words are quickly moving from one idea to another. The police officer would be correct
in suspecting that Brenda has _____.
A) drug-induced multiple personalities
B) a personality disorder
C) a bipolar disorder
D) hypothermic shock
5. John believes he is a famous code-cracker for the CIA, even though in reality, he is not.
John is having:
A) delusions of grandeur
B) delusions of persecution
C) delusions of reference
D) a normal day
6. Three of Yachi’s grandparents had schizophrenia. Both of Yumiko’s parents have it.
Tabia’s identical twin was just diagnosed with it. Who is MOST likely to someday be
diagnosed with schizophrenia as well?
D) They all have the same genetic susceptibility for schizophrenia
7. When Veda returned home after the worst typhoon in twenty years, her entire family
was dead and there was nothing left of her village. Veda wandered off and forgot her
name, and everything about her previous life. This is an example of a _____.
A) dissociate identity disorder
B) nervous breakdown
C) dissociative amnesia
D) dissociative fugue
8. Janese cuts her arms when overwhelmed by emotion, abruptly changes from laughter to
anger, and needs constant reassurance from others to feel any sense of self-worth. She is
MOST likely to be diagnosed with _____ disorder.
A) dissociative identity
B) borderline personality
C) multiple personality
D) major depression
9. Morris is having trouble sleeping, has lost his appetite, is too tired to go to work, and
cannot concentrate on simple television shows. It is MOST likely that Morris is
experiencing a _____.
A) generalized depressive disorder
B) generalized anxiety disorder
C) major depression
D) minor depression
10. Which of the following MOST clearly illustrates an obsessive-compulsive disorder?
A) Morgan washes her hands 10 times after learning that the patient she just treated
has hepatitis B.
B) Kendrick is so anxious about his speech for tomorrow that he reviews his notes 20
C) Constant sexual thoughts have made Lauryn anxious for several months. She now
carries a prayer book and feels pressured to read passages aloud over and over
again everywhere she goes.
D) Mason’s house was burglarized last week. He now checks the locks on his doors
and windows 5 times a night, and listens to the radio to stop worrying about his
11. Which of the following is NOT a myth about psychotherapy identified in your text?
A) There is one best therapy
B) People who go to therapists are crazy or weak
C) People taking medication don’t need therapy
D) Therapists can read your mind
E) All of the above are myths
12. Cognitive therapists assume that problem behaviors and emotions are caused by _____.
A) faulty thought processes and beliefs
B) negative self-image
C) incongruent belief systems
D) lack of self-discipline
13. Modern psychodynamic therapy is different from psychoanalysis for all but which of the
A) Treatment is briefer
B) Therapy occurs face-to-face
C) Therapist is more directive
D) Both A and C
E) All of the above are valid reasons
14. Barney read the script wrong three times in a row during this morning’s show. He
believes his career is over, and he is filled with self-hatred. Beck would say Barney is at
risk for developing depression because he is engaging in _____.
A) selective perception
D) self-defeating behavior
15. Which of the following statements is MOST likely to be said by a client-centered
A) “You’re right about that.”
B) “Your thinking is all mixed up.”
C) “You sound perplexed, uncertain about what to do.”
D) “Your mother thinks you are a unique, positive, and powerful person.” Psyc 2301 Assignment: Social Norms
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!