Assignment: NR507 Wk8 Final Exam (Version 1 Solutions)
NR507 Wk8 Final Exam
1. Question : The area of the kidneys that contains the glomeruli and portions of the tubules is called the:
2. Question : During an infection, why do lymph nodes enlarge and become tender?
3. Question : What is the treatment of choice for pernicious anemia (PA)?
4. Question : Which substance is used to correct the chronic anemia associated with chronic renal failure?
5. Question : What is the end-product of protein metabolism that is excreted in urine?
NR507 Wk8 Final Exam
6. Question : What local complication of a gonococcal infection is diagnosed in approximately 10% of affected women?
7. Question : The common hay fever allergy is expressed through a reaction that is mediated by which class of immunoglobulins?
8. Question : Treatment for polycythemia vera involves which of the following?
9. Question : What term is used to identify the movement of fluids and solutes from the tubular lumen to the peritubular capillary plasma?
10. Question : Obesity creates a greater risk for dehydration in people because:
11. Question : Continued therapy of pernicious anemia (PA) generally lasts how long?
12. Question : Which of the following describes how the body compensates for anemia?
13. Question : Which chamber of the heart endures the highest pressures?
14. Question : Which glycoprotein protects against urolithiasis and is a ligand for lymphokines?
15. Question : Research has shown a link between cancer and which sexually transmitted disease?
16. Question : Where are alveolar macrophages found?
17. Question : Which renal change is found in older adults?
18. Question : At birth, which statement is true?
19. Question : When the maternal immune system becomes sensitized against antigens expressed by the fetus, what reaction occurs?
20. Question : What is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide?
21. Question : Where in the lung does gas exchange occur?
22. Question : Hemophilia B is caused by a deficiency of which clotting factor?
23. Question : Aspiration is most likely to occur in the right mainstem bronchus because it:
24. Question : What is the name of the disorder in which levels of bilirubin remain excessively high in the newborn and are deposited in the brain?
25. Question : An infant has a crescendo-decrescendo systolic ejection murmur located between the second and third intercostal spaces along the left sternal border. A wide fixed splitting of the second heart sound is also found. These clinical findings are consistent with which congenital heart defect?
26. Question : Which statement best describes cystic fibrosis?
27. Question : On average, what percent of cardiac output do the kidneys receive?
28. Question : Which blood cells are the chief phagocytes involved in the early inflammation process?
29. Question : Stress-induced sympathetic stimulation of the adrenal medulla causes the secretion of:
30. Question : Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is an autoimmune process involving antibodies attacking which type of cells?
31. Question : A hypersensitivity reaction that produces an allergic response is called:
32. Question : Where are Langerhans cells found?
33. Question : Oxygenated blood flows through which vessel?
34. Question : The ability of the pathogen to invade and multiply in the host is referred to as:
35. Question : Tissue damage caused by the deposition of circulating immune complexes containing an antibody against the host DNA is the cause of which disease?
36. Question : Which immunoglobulin is present in blood, saliva, breast milk, and respiratory secretions?
37. Question : What term is used to describe a hernial protrusion of a saclike cyst that contains meninges, spinal fluid, and a portion of the spinal cord through a defect in a posterior arch of a vertebra?
38. Question : What is the most common predisposing factor to obstructive sleep apnea in children?
39. Question : How does chest wall compliance in an infant differ from that of an adult?
40. Question : Which is an example of an endogenous antigen?
NR507 Wk8 Final Exam
41. Question : What is the most commonly reported symptom of cancer treatment?
42. Question : What period follows depolarization of the myocardium and represents a period during which no new cardiac potential can be propagated?
43. Question : In a full-term infant, the normal erythrocyte life span is _____ days, whereas the adult erythrocyte life span is _____ days.
44. Question : Which vitamin improves the absorption of oral iron taken to treat iron deficiency anemia in children?
45. Question : Which statement is true regarding pain and cancer?
46. Question : Which statement is true regarding maternal antibodies provided to the neonate?
47. Question : What is the anomaly in which the soft bony component of the skull and much of the brain is missing?
48. Question : Bronchiolitis tends to occur during the first years of life and is most often caused by what type of infection?
49. Question : The World Health Organization (WHO) defines grade 1 (overweight) as a BMI of:
50. Question : Why is the herpes virus inaccessible to antibodies after the initial infection?
51. Question : Which structure attaches skeletal muscle to bone?
52. Question : The secretion of adrenocorticotropic-stimulating hormone (ACTH) will result in the increased level of which hormone?
53. Question : What term is used to identify the condition that exists when the urethral meatus is located on the undersurface of the penis?
54. Question : Prolonged high environmental temperatures that produce dehydration, decreased plasma volumes, hypotension, decreased cardiac output, and tachycardia cause which disorder of temperature regulation?
55. Question : The two most important risk factors for type 2 diabetes are:
56. Question : Using a fan to reduce body temperature is an example of which mechanism of heat loss?
57. Question : An infant suddenly develops abdominal pain, becomes irritable (colicky), and draws up the knees. Vomiting occurs soon afterward. The mother reports that the infant passed a normal stool, followed by one that looked like currant jelly. Based on these data, which disorder does the nurse suspect?
58. Question : An individual’s genetic makeup is referred to as his or her:
59. Question : Which type of ion directly controls the contraction of muscles?
60. Question : Which hormone is linked to an increase in appetite during puberty?
61. Question : What syndrome, characterized by an absent homologous X chromosome with only a single X chromosome, exhibits features that include a short stature, widely spaced nipples, and webbed neck?
62. Question : When a woman’s uterus is assessed as protruding through the entrance of the vagina to the hymen, which grade of prolapse does this indicate?
63. Question : An amniocentesis indicates a neural tube defect when an increase in which protein is evident?
64. Question : Which condition poses the highest risk for a cerebrovascular accident (CVA)?
65. Question : Which dyskinesia involves involuntary movements of the face, trunk, and extremities?
66. Question : Which neurotransmitter is inhibited in panic disorders?
NR507 Wk8 Final Exam
67. Question : Loud snoring, a decrease in oxygen saturation, fragmented sleep, chronic daytime sleepiness, and fatigue are clinical manifestations of which sleep disorder?
68. Question : A blunt force injury to the forehead would result in a coup injury to which region of the brain?
69. Question : It is true that Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS):
70. Question : Atrial fibrillation, rheumatic heart disease, and valvular prosthetics are risk factors for which type of stroke?
71. Question : What is the first sign of puberty in girls?
72. Question : A criterion for a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a period of excessive worrying that lasts for at least how many months?
73. Question : What is the blood type of a person who is heterozygous, having A and B alleles as codominant?
74. Question : What is the leading cause of infertility in women?
75. Question : Which dietary lifestyle choice has been associated with a decreased risk for developing colon cancer?
76. Question : When insulin binds its receptors on muscle cells, an increase in glucose uptake by the muscle cells is the result. This is an example of what type of effect by a hormone?
77. Question : Which characteristic is true of type II (white fast-motor) muscle fibers?
78. Question : How do the clinical manifestations and onset of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) differ from those of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in adults?
79. Question : The BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations increase the risk of which cancer in women?
80. Question : What part of the brain provides the emotional response to pain?
81. Question : The most critical aspect in correctly diagnosing a seizure disorder and establishing its cause is:
82. Question : How does the release (increase) of epinephrine raise body temperature?
83. Question : In 95% of children of delayed puberty, the problem is caused by:
84. Question : Neurofibrillary tangles characterize which neurologic disorder?
85. Question : Acute glomerulonephritis (AGN) may be accompanied by a positive throat or skin culture for which bacteria?
86. Question : Congenital aganglionic megacolon (Hirschsprung disease) involves inadequate motility of the colon caused by neural malformation of which nervous system?
87. Question : The absence of which major hormone is a determinant of sexual differentiation (wolffian system) in utero?
88. Question : What is the target tissue for prolactin-releasing factor?
89. Question : The number of persons living with a specific disease at a specific point in time is referred to by which term?
90. Question : The mucosal secretions of the cervix secrete which immunoglobulin?
91. Question : What term describes the loss of the comprehension or production of language?
92. Question : Which assessment finding characterizes Osgood-Schlatter disease?
93. Question : In scoliosis, curves in the thoracic spine greater than how many degrees result in decreased pulmonary function?
94. Question : What causes the crystallization within the synovial fluid of the joint affected by gouty arthritis?
95. Question : Which term is also used to refer to paradoxic sleep?
96. Question : Parkinson disease is a degenerative disorder of the brain’s:
97. Question : Open-angle glaucoma occurs because of:
98. Question : Which type of fracture usually occurs in an individual who engages in a new activity that is strenuous and repetitive?
99. Question : Which statement is true regarding the major difference between male and female sex hormone production?
100. Question : DNA formation occurs in which of the cell’s structures
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!