Assignment: Memory Models
1. Farah is studying for her linguistics exam. She thinks that if she can process the terminology and theories more deeply, she will probably retain the information better. Farah’s thinking is similar to what model of memory?
a. Levels of processing c. Parallel distributed processing
b. Transfer-appropriate processing d. Information processing
2. Amanda asks Becky, “How was your spring break?” As Becky describes her vacation, she begins to feel
guilty because she subconsciously recalls how her parents criticized her for taking a trip instead of
concentrating on her studies. Becky’s recollection of her vacation is an example of a(n) memory, and
her feeling of guilt is an example of a(n) __ memory
a. implicit; explicit c. episodic; semantic
b. semantic; episodic d. explicit; implicit
3. When you ask her, Kyung cannot remember the names of all fifty U.S. state capitals. However, when you then show her a list of U.S. city names, she can correctly point out all fifty capitals. Kyung originally had trouble remembering the state capitals because of poor
a. recall. c. elaborative rehearsal.
b. recognition. d. maintenance rehearsal
4. Jill is studying for her psychology midterm. The most effective way for Jill to encode the course material
a. acoustically. c. semantically.
b. visually. d. episodically.
5. Skill learning depends mainly on
a. insight and observational learning.
b. operant conditioning and reconditioning.
c. classical conditioning.
d. imitation, following instructions, and practice.
6. Gretchen absolutely loves going to school. Her teacher uses teaching methods that are fun, such as
small-group problem-solving tasks, discussion of short essays written in class, and short review sessions of
the previous half-hour of class. Gretchen’s teacher is obviously taking a(n) __ learning approach.
a. insight c. vicarious .
b. latent d. active
7. If a group of kids is allowed to watch more hours of violent television programs than usual, they most likely
a. be much less aggressive immediately afterward.
b. be slightly less aggressive later on the playground.
c. imitate many of the violent actions they witnessed.
d. imitate only the violent actions that were rewarded on television.
8. During her talk, Dr. Ravenscroft discusses her research on learning and how the brain creates associations
and connections. Most likely, Dr. Ravenscroft has found that association networks can be explained by all of
the following except
a. parallel-distributed processing. c. connectionist models.
b. opponent-process theory. d. distributed memory and knowledge
9. Your friend tells you that she just bought a cat. You naturally assume that your friend means that she bought
a housecat rather than a lion or a tiger. This is an illustration of a(n)
a. constructive memory. c. implicit memory.
b. spontaneous generalization. d. relearning method.
10. When asked to describe an examination room at his doctor’s office, John seemed to do an accurate job.
However, his description included a framed medical degree on the wall that in fact was not there. This is an
a. context-specificity. c. constructive memory.
b. elaborative rehearsal. d. a retrieval cue.
11. Al is on the witness stand. He is asked whether he can remember the name of the person who told him to
place the bet. Al replies that he thinks the last name ofthe person starts with “C.” AI’s response is an example
a. penultimate response. c. spontaneous generalization.
b. feeling-of-knowing experience. d. tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon
12. Blair is asked a question during a game of Trivial Pursuit. The answer is on the tip of his tongue, but he can’t
come up with it. Which of the following memory processes failed him?
a. Encoding c. Retrieval
b. Storage d. Rehearsal
13. Semantic network models predict that people will respond more quickly to the question “Can a bat fly?” than
they will to “Is a bat a mammal?” because
a. of the primacy effect.
b. the first question requires a deeper level of processing.
c. they probably have a stronger association between “bat” and “wings” than “bat” and
d. the first question can be answered using short-term memory, but the second question
14. Sharmin is trying to remember the hilarious conversation she had with her friends last night If Sharmin
wanted to utilize context-specific memory to help remember the conversation topics, she should
a. recreate the mood she was in when the conversation took place.
b. concentrate on the last topic they discussed.
c. cluster the topics into meaningful groups of information.
d. return to the restaurant in which they had the conversation.
15. Fred was tired of hearing two-year-old Pebbles cry whenever she did not get her way. Fred decided to ignore
Pebbles anytime she had a crying outburst. Over the course of several weeks, the frequency of outbursts
decreased and eventually ceased. What operant conditioning process was Fred utilizing? Memory Models Assignment
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!