Assignment HIT204 Intermediate Medical Coding
Assignment: HIT204 Intermediate Medical Coding
Project Number: 38166000
As a medical coder, you’ll assign CPT codes for physician procedures and services. This graded project is designed to
1. Test your knowledge of CPT coding principles and procedures
2. Gauge your ability to accurately apply coding guidelines with regard to CPT codes and modifiers
3. Analyze your accuracy with respect to HCPCS code assignment
4. Determine your ability to differentiate CPT and HCPCS5.
Summarize what you’ve learned about CPT and HCPCS coding INSTRUCTIONS your graded project has three parts. Be sure to complete all three parts prior to submitting your project.
HIT204 Medical Coding Assignment Part 1
Review the following scenario. Assign the CPT code(s). Add one or more modifiers, if necessary.
A 71-year-old male patient comes to the hospital after having been previously diagnosed with benign prostatic hypertrophy with urinary obstruction. Due to this condition, the patient is experiencing increased urination, straining during urination, and a continual feeling of fullness after the bladder has been emptied. The physician performs a cystourethroscopy to examine the condition of the bladder and urethra, and then subsequently performs a UroLift transprostatic implant procedure using three adjustable implants. CPT code(s): __600.01__ (2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 600.01 ) (Barisa, 2016). Comment by Joyce, Barbara: -20Highlighted codes incorrectMissing two cpt codesMissing unit amountCorrect coding _ _ _ _ _ , _ _ _ _ _ x ___ (units)
HIT204 Medical Coding Assignment Part 2a
Review each of the following procedures. Assign the CPT code(s). Add one or more modifiers, if necessary.
1. An established patient comes to the office complaining of migraine headaches. The physician performs an expanded problem-focused history and exam. The physician’s medical decision making is of low complexity. During the office visit, the physician also removes a benign 0.5 cm lesion from the back of the patient’s left hand. CPT code(s): CPT Code G43.909 Comment by Joyce, Barbara: -10Highlighted code incorrectMissing one E/M code with modifierMissing one cpt code with modifier
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS:Assignment: HIT204 Intermediate Medical Coding
2. A physician removes an intraocular foreign body from the anterior chamber of the patient’s eye. An allergy statement in the patient’s medical record indicates that the patient is allergic to local anesthesia. For this reason, general anesthesia is administered. The anesthesiologist is not available to administer anesthesia. The surgeon performs the anesthesia administration instead.CPT code(s): CPT code 65273 Comment by Joyce, Barbara: -10Incorrect cpt code digitsMissing two modifiersCorrect coding 652_ _ – _ _ – _ _
3. A surgeon performs a total abdominal hysterectomy with partial removal of the vagina, lymph node sampling, and removal of the ovary. The coder assigns code 58200-51. Is this code correct or incorrect? Why or why not? Correct. Reasons – Total abdominal hysterectomy, including partial vaginectomy, with para-aortic and pelvic lymph node sampling, with or without removal of tube(s), with or without removal of ovary(s) (Barisa, 2016). Comment by Joyce, Barbara: -5The cpt code is correct but the modifier should be omitted because the procedures are bundled into code 58200
Review each of the following procedures. Assign the HCPCS code(s).
4. A patient weighing 252 pounds sustains a hip fracture. The physician prescribes a Group 2 standard single power wheelchair with a solid seat, solid back, and as ling. Code 27267, Code 27268, and Code 27269 Comment by Joyce, Barbara: -10Highlighted codes incorrectMissing one HCPCS code
5. A patient comes to the emergency room complaining of a chronic migraine. The nurse administers a 1 unit injection of onabotulinumtoxin AN .HCPCS code(s): HCPCS 2016 Code: J0585 (Barisa, 2016).
6. A patient with chronic venous insufficiency comes to the doctor’s office complaining of leg pain. The physician prescribes two thigh-length gradient compression stockings, 45 mmHg each. HCPCS code(s): I83.811 – I83.819 (Barisa, 2016). Comment by Joyce, Barbara: -10Highlighted codes incorrectMissing one HCPCS codeMissing unit amountCorrect coding _ _ _ _ _ x ___ (units)
HIT204 Medical Coding Assignment Part 3
Review the following coding scenario. Assign the CPT code(s) for the wound repair only.
A patient comes to the emergency room after sustaining a 12.2-cm wound to the left side of her face. She was cut with a piece of glass during a physical altercation with her husband. The physician performs a detailed history and examination. Medical decision making was of moderate complexity. The physician repairs the facial wound without difficulty; however, the wound requires extensive cleaning to remove the glass particles beforehand. The physician also repaired a superficial 2.5-cm wound to the left ear. Both wounds were closed using 4-0 Vicryl.CPT code(s): 12001-12021_and G0168 (Barisa, 2016). Comment by Joyce, Barbara: -20Incorrect cpt code digitsMissing one modifierIncorrect code G0168 (not needed)Correct coding 120_ _ , 120_1 – _ _
Barisa, M. T. (2016). CPT Codes. Practical Psychology in Medical Rehabilitation, 491-504. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-34034-0_54
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!